Annual Story ContestRead the Stories and Enter the Contest
GOABC Annual Story Contest
Each year the Guide Outfitters Association of BC (GOABC) holds a contest for best BC Guided hunting stories that have been submitted for publication in the Mountain Hunter™ magazine. These stories are written by the hunters and feature memorable hunting experiences with GOABC members. At the end of the year all stories submitted will be reviewed and the top three stories will receive a cash prize (CAD) from $250 to $750. Each Outfitter featured in the winning stories will also receive a one issue free ad displayed in the magazine.
Tips on How to Write your Hunting Story
- Recognize your guide, hunting destination and sought species in the first few paragraphs of your story.
- A great hunting story not only describes the animals and itinerary, but expresses the significance of the hunt to you. How long had you been dreaming of this hunt? How did you first connect with your outfitter? What was the scenery like? What challenges did you encounter? These details will add to richness and familiarity of your story for your readers.
- Proofread your story for clarity, but do not worry too much about the proper grammar or sentence structure—we will take care of that for you.
- Try to keep the story in past tense and title it creatively. Titles and photos provide the first impression for your readers, and you want to draw them in immediately. Be sure to include several high-quality photos (1 MB or larger at 300dpi) with your submission.
- Stories should be 2500-3000 words in length and written in Microsoft Word. We prefer to receive them by email (click here to use our online form), but they can also be sent hard-copy or on CD.
Previous Story Contest Winners – Read Their Stories
First Place 2018: Sometimes It Only Takes 9 by Colin Sands Heart pounding, chest throbbing, thighs burning, we were nearly there, there being the top in this case on this day, just over 8,300 feet. “Welcome to sheep hunting,” Nathan whispered as we crested a ridge...read more
Second Place 2018: A Great Goat by Bob Anderson I met Chris Franke of Mountain Spirit Outfitters Inc. at the annual SCI Lake Superior Chapter meeting held in Hinckley, MN April 2013. Again that year Chris had donated a goat hunt for the Saturday night banquet and...read more
Third Place 2018: Never to old for your first hunt by Leon Houser The idea for this hunt started in January 2015 when Ronald’s son Steve, was hunting geese on our property. I stopped by for a visit. Both Steve and his dad hunted but neither had ever been on a big game...read more